Monday, October 06, 2008

Feel sorry for me...

So, for those of you who weren't aware, I am working full-time at New Dawn Technologies. It's a great job, I work on a great team and the work is enjoyable. I have been working since I started here (along with a coworker who started shortly after me) on a project to create our own version of "document automation" software. Basically, what this does is you create a document and put in the document certain bits called "fill points", which correspond to data that you want to dynamically fill in your document. For instance, a fill point could pull in data about the charges against a defendant, or about witness names and addresses for a subpoena (we do justice software). So once you create a template for this, you can generate the same document over and over again for different cases, thus saving somebody the monotony of having to do it by hand. Pretty sweet eh? So we requested an icon for our awesome piece of software. On August 18th, these are the designs we received:
Not bad eh? I mean, the gears are a little blah but the magic wand is pretty cool, sortof like we magically create these awesome documents. So we sent our feedback (which is what was requested): "NO GEARS...boring, and lightning and paper don't go well together. The magic wand is cool but maybe stick with the straight edged paper to stay professional looking." We felt pretty good about that.
After a week or so I finally heard the results of our icon quest. Another employee (not the one who asked for our feedback) had decided on an icon for us. Here it is:
Every time I see it I cringe. Gears. Green ones. The apparent reason for this is that authoring these templates is an administrative action and green gears are the administrative icon for our main product, JustWare. Still, gears? Tell me if I'm overboard on this, but I can't stand it and neither can my coworker who's on the project with me. Please everybody pity me.

5 comments:

Bec said...

Sorry, Zann, but I think the gears look sweet. It sucks that they asked for your opinion then disregarded it, though. Nothing pisses me off worse than that! (If you were just gonna do what you want anyway, why did you ask my opinion???- grr.) So I get your frustration. But the gears aren't bad. Sorry. :)

Darrell said...

I'm all about stuff that saves time. Even if it means clicking on an ugly icon. . . I'm sure there will be times when you get to have sweet icons.

Larson Letters said...

Amber!!!
I am glad I found your blog!!! I think it is funny that our due dates are 1 day apart!! 2 weeks ago I saw the doc and was dilated to a 2 and 50 % effaced and so he thinks I will go early too. But I am not getting my hopes up since I did the same thing with everett. I see the doc again tomorrow and we will see what he says then! How are you feeling?? Are you just ready to be done??

Shae said...

Hey Amber!!
I found your blog on Joanne's blog. She's my sister's sister-in-law! :) How fun to have found your blog! I love the quilt you made...it's so cute! You look great! Good luck with everything.

robmba said...

how about a magic wand tapping on the gears...